The pandemic has been a challenging ordeal for many people, especially for those who suffer from addiction. This course is intended to evaluate how COVID-19 has affected the Substance Use Disorder population, the challenges it has created and the treatment options and methods that have become essential to continue helping the individuals we serve.
Following this presentation, participants will:
- Describe the change in alcohol use related to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of virtual IOP and virtual AA meetings with in-person treatment and 12-step support
- List potential medications as adjuncts in the treatment of problem drinkers
- Outline a forward looking post-pandemic approach to alcoholism treatment that draws from these strengths and weaknesses
Theodore V. Parran, Jr., M.D.
Glenbeigh Medical Director
Dr. Parran has been certified in Addiction Medicine by the American Society of Addiction Medicine since 1994 and has extensive experience working with individuals impacted by substance use disorders. Dr. Parran earned his M.D. from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and his undergraduate degree is from Kenyon College. He completed his internship and residency in Internal Medicine at Baltimore City Hospital, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, where he was the Chief Medical Resident. Dr. Parran has extensive honors and awards including a Teaching Excellence Award from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and an award for innovation in Continuing Medical Education from the Alliance for Continuing Medical Education. He has been recognized among the Best Doctors in America for the Midwest Region in Addiction Medicine. Dr. Parran is a highly sought teacher and scholar specializing on the topics of addiction, treatment and recovery.
Monday, May 3, 2021
Presentation: 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM
This is a ZOOM platform educational program. Access information will be shared with registered guests.
1.5 Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) have been applied for through:
- The Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board
- The Counselor, Social Worker & Marriage and Family Therapist Board
- National Association of Social Workers
For more information, please contact Jamie Deleon at 1-800-234-1001 or by email at email@example.com
Glenbeigh provides educational events at no cost as part of our community benefit initiative. Glenbeigh is a non-profit hospital providing the highest quality healthcare to those in need of alcohol and drug addiction treatment and supports ongoing addiction recovery efforts.