Friday February 28, 2020
Networking: 8:30 AM to 9:00 AM
Presentation: 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM
An education initiative partnership between the Area Office on Aging of Northwest Ohio and the Lucas County Sheriff's Office to address the increase in opioid use among older adults. In March 2019, this partnership resulted in the the Area Office on Aging hiring a Sheriff's Drug Abuse Response Team (D.A.R.T.) Officer. The D.A.R.T. Officer's goal is to educate older adults on prescription misuse, addiction and fatal overdoses. Opioids are prescribed to seniors more than any other age group. It is possible to reduce the impact that opioids have on the senior community.
- Raise awareness of the opioid epidemic impact on older adults
- Discuss reasons older adults may be at increased risk for opioid use disorder (OUD)
- Discuss misconceptions surrounding substance use disorder (SUD), drug use, misuse and abuse
- Explore how to encourage the older adult to take personal responsibility for their opioid medications through proper usage, storage and disposal
Ireatha Hollie, Ohio Licensed Pharmacist
Jeffry Medere, D.A.R.T. Officer, Area Office on Aging of Northwest Ohio
Glenbeigh Outpatient Center of Toledo
3425 Executive Parkway, Suite 207
Toledo, Ohio 43606
1.5 hours of Continuing Education Credit has been applied for through:
- The Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board
- The Ohio Counselor, Social Worker & Marriage and Family Therapist Board
- Note: The Ohio Board of Nursing states "Nurses may use CEUs approved by the Social Work Board"
Please RSVP by 2/26/2020 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 419-536-4000.
Rise and Shine events are offered at no cost as part of Glenbeigh's community benefit initiative. Glenbeigh is a non-profit hospital providing the highest quality healthcare to those in need of alcohol and drug addiction treatment and to support ongoing addiction recovery efforts.